When Greg and I celebrated our first Christmas together we really wanted to create some Christmas traditions on our own - unique to our family and easy to continue throughout the years. The first tradition we began was on Christmas Eve. I always wanted to open presents on Christmas Eve, so when we got married I thought it would be great for us to open up one present on Christmas Eve. Not just any present - but Christmas pajamas! The pajamas are worn that very evening and while we open presents the next morning. I love pajamas so I was very excited when Greg also liked the idea.
When Carson was born - we added more to our Christmas traditions. We really wanted our family to grow up understanding that the birth of Jesus is the true emphasis during the Christmas season. One way we do this is by giving presents that fit a purpose similar to the gifts Jesus was given by the Three Wise Men. We give presents that fit three categories: Gold, Frankincense, and Myrhh. The gold is the more costly of the three and most often the most desired. The myrhh gift has more of a modern twist to that of Jesus' time when myrrh covered the body preparing it for burial. Rather, we use it to symbolize a gift that clothes the body such as an outfit or a new jacket- even shoes are included in this category, Finally, frankincense was used in Jesus' time to lift up a sweet-smelling aroma to God. So, this gift consists of a way to encourage the family member's relationship with God - bringing him closer to the Lord. Reading the scripture of the birth of Jesus before opening these presents ties everything together. Greg and I also give one gift from Santa and fill the stockings. We both feel that Santa can still be a part of Christmas. Instilling a sense of fantasy and imagination during the Christmas season also has its place, but the birth of Jesus is the focus. We began this tradition last year when Carson was one and not only did it put focus where it needed to be, but also kept mommy and daddy from going overboard and only giving gifts from each category.
This Christmas we have added a stocking for Jesus - not to be filled with gifts but reminders of blessings and things we are thankful for - saying "Thank you Jesus" on his birthday.
I can see these traditions having purpose and meaning in our family for our very long time and I am very excited to see our children grow with these traditions. I look forward to the day when Carson gets mommy a frankincense, gold, or myrrh gift!
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment